Kia ora. Talofa lava. Malo e lelei. Welcome.
I’m Karen Spencer, Director of Education for NetSafe in New Zealand.
I specialise in working alongside schools to create inclusive, student-centred learning for a digital world.
Karen is the Director of Education for NetSafe, an independent not-for-profit New Zealand specialising in digital citizenship and cybersafety. With over twenty years in the education sector in New Zealand and the UK, she is internationally recognised for her work in future-focused, inclusive learning through digital technologies, blended/online professional development and online community development. She is an inspiring facilitator, known for her energy, humour and research-led approach.
In her previous role with CORE Education, Karen provided strategic advice for the Connected Learning Advisory-Te Ara Whītiki service on behalf of the Ministry of Education. In 2014, she spearheaded Connected Educator Month for New Zealand and Victoria, Australia. She has undertaken extensive consultancy work in curriculum, e-learning and assessment projects for the Ministry of Education (New Zealand), NZQA, and for international agencies. She has been central to the development of national professional learning projects that target system-wide e-capability development, such as Enabling e-Learning, the VLN Groups social network and the e-Learning Planning Framework.
In 2013, Karen received the inaugural ICET Asia-Pacific Senior e-Fellow award. She was also awarded the John Allan Scholarship by the University of Waikato (2013) and a Masters in Education with Distinction in 2014.
[updated June 2016]
This blog has been my online ‘home’ since 2007 – a space for pondeirng, sharing resources and pulling threads together. You can also find me here…and here…and here…
- @virtuallykaren on Twitter: Catch the chat.
- virtuallykaren on Facebook: For friends and family.
- LinkedIn: My professional side.
- Pinterest: Boards for educators
- Enabling e-Learning: A previous project, an online community for educators.
- The Virtual Learning Network Groups: Growing the largest social network for NZ educators
- My YouTube channel: Check out my playlists for educators
- Slideshare: My presentations.
- YouTube: Check out my edu-playlists
…and my alter-ego, who is passionately learning about photography, is here:
- Cameranaut: Presenting photos, some of them pretty good. Includes my ‘365’ project.